The Binder Hospital Program is a JM developed program that began in the spring of 2008. We are a volunteer run program aimed at helping 6th, 7th and 8th graders develop stronger organizational skills. Our goal is to assist students who have been identified by a teacher/staff as needing extra help with their binder and/or organization. The student works one-on-one with a parent volunteer in a non judgmental and confidential environment. We provide a safe and supportive opportunity for students to reorganize and get a fresh start. Most students report feeling more organized, more confident and optimistic after visits.
We offer both instruction and school supplies to each student as needed. If the student’s current system can be modified to allow for the programs critical components, we simply make the necessary changes. If it’s determined that a new binder would be helpful, we have supplies on hand.
If new binder/supplies are needed, we customize a binder for the student using a proven method for organization. We then assist the student in moving all important materials into the new binder and send older work home for storage. We spend time explaining each component of the new system and the importance of developing new organizational habits. The initial visit is about 25 minutes long and our goal is to have the student leave the appointment understanding all expectations and knowing that they are on their way to success.
In about 3 weeks after the initial visit, the student will attend a 15 minute follow up visit. We will review their progress, make adjustments and focus in on any specific challenges the student is still facing. If further appointments are needed, they are scheduled at that time.
Success of each student depends upon their investment in the process, long term commitment to establishing a new habit and family support. Appointments are made by teachers based on established criteria.
The Ideal Binder
The ‘IDEAL’ binder
- 2 inch heavy duty binder with clear plastic covers- Cost will be $10 or over to get good quality
- Avoid canvas zip up binders
- Avoid getting small binders for each subject. They should put everything in one binder.
- 5 plastic tabs each with pockets
- Fabric Pencil Pocket (to be clipped in binder)
- Pencils/mechanical pencil with extra lead
- Extra eraser
- Hole reinforcers
- 2 sided plastic folder with pockets on the inside (to be clipped in binder). Label one side ‘to do’ and the other side ‘completed’.
- College ruled binder paper in each section
- Graph paper in Math section
- Daily Planner will be provided by the school